Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shredded

I have been wanting to get back into the 30 Day Shred for a while now. Well, perhaps wanting is too strong a word. How about feeling like I should? You see, the first time I did it a few months ago, it was pretty awful. It was hard, and it was painful, and it confirmed my feeling that Jillian Michaels is a sadist. BUT I LOVED the way it changed my body, and each time I managed to complete a day, the feeling of pride in myself was blissful. I have been trying to keep that in mind the last week and a half as I have been attempting to talk myself into putting the DVD in and starting up again. It hasn't been working. My body and mind remember how awful it was the first time around. How I got my trash kicked every morning. You know how between having children, your body actually is made to forget that pain so that you will continue to propagate the species? Yeah, that doesn't apply to work outs. 

Well, this morning I headed out for my usual walk/run, but at an unusual later time due to my being in a Benadryl coma last night. As I rounded the corner of the elementary school across the street, in front of me I saw a group of moms walking my same country route. Now, I really dislike walking for miles behind other people, and if I had somehow managed to overtake them, I wouldn't have been more than a few yards in front, and I really don't like spending my walk like that either. Sounds strange, I know. But my dislike of spending my exercise time in that kind of mental discomfort did what nothing else could - it got me back in my house and The Shred in the DVD player. That's right - I made my (less-than) triumphant return to The Shred. And it was hard. And I couldn't always breathe that well. And things hurt. But I did it, and I like to think that it wasn't as bad as it was when I started it the first time around. And when I finished, I found a little bit of that pride in myself again. Totally worth it. 

1 comment: