Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fun-Scary

There is a definite downside to not posting things when the happen, and that downside is that the things start piling up and pretty soon you don't know where to start with the blogging. And while I had every intention of posting on Monday, it turned out that my weekend migraine had decided to linger, plus Hubby was off work and we had to take my oldest daughter to a doctor's appointment which ended up being a full-day outing. Tuesday I spent out with my mother-in-law (still with a nagging pain behind my eye) and yesterday my girl had another doctor's appointment at lunchtime after which we stayed in Sacramento for the next 5 hours doing various things. Anyway...it is now Thursday, my headache is continuing to ebb and flow, and I have a ton of stuff I need to get started on, but I am posting because if I don't I will let another day go by and end up with even more catch-up to do.

On Sunday I posted that I had fun-scary news to share. Well, I got my tax money and officially signed up for:
On September 4, I will be running my first half-marathon. Through California Adventure, Disneyland, Anaheim, and the resort hotels. And while this is super-fun, very exciting, and somewhat shocking and amazing to me, it is also scary as hell. Because the most I have ever run is a 5k. But I set my goal for this year, and I am going to do my best to meet it. Reading One Crazy Penguin's Princess Half-Marathon posts reminds me to be jazzed about it more than scared.

Immediately after registering for the race, I headed to my local running store to get new shoes - you can't train without the proper equipment, right? And since the equipment for running pretty much consists of lungs, legs, and shoes, I needed to get the last component. After the guy at the running store watched me walk and what not, (apparently I have a normal step - no pronation, which I guess is a good thing) I tried on a few different pairs of the suggested shoes. I ended up with these:
Very comfortable. At least in the store, since I haven't hit the road with them yet. That headache really killed me. But I am officially ready to start my training, and most of the time am excited about the race. I am trying to find a way to hold on to the belief that I can do this. I will grasp a true feeling of it once in a while, but it tends to slip through my hands like water, leaving me with a feeling of fear instead. I'm working on it.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on signing up. You're going to *rock* it :) And glad I could help make you more jazzed than scared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the half marathon! I have a friend who runs it every year. She has a blast every time!

    Sarah
    notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!! I am getting up the courage to run a 5k in May or June - you may have given me the inspiration to make the plunge and just pick one!

    You can do it! Ugh about the headache - I am one of the lucky people that has probably had 3 headaches in my life - hang in there!

    p.s. LOVE THE SHOES!

    ReplyDelete